Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Previous Fields

  • Age
  • Referred By
  • How many Goldfish

Tinania's Achievements


Newbie (1/14)



  1. You're quite right, it would seem. Thank goodness I don't have that many! There's a portion with noticeably odd tails, eg uneven, and as their colours develop further I suppose that will have some weight as well.. I've culled a few for obvious problems that would affect quality of life, but haven't so for more minor things like that. (One of their fathers had several deformities when we bought him, unknown to us, who were lucky to know the difference between a fantail and a comet at that point It hasn't affected his ability to swim, eat, etc, and my daughter loves him as much, if not more than, the others). So I'm left with the choices of culling, classing as feeder fish, or homing them as is. Sense says, one of the first two.. conscience says nooo!
  2. I don't know, exactly! I didn't realise there was so many at the start - the phenomenon with fish where it looks like there's a third of the number that's really there.. There's two pet shops in town that may take some. Someone wants a bunch for their pond and someone else a couple for tanks, so there's potential for further interest through word of mouth. There's a lot of shops in the city that may take some, if it comes to that. And, well, being my first go at raising them I don't know if I'll be able to give the lot away, I might pick out a couple to keep as well I didn't expect so many to survive, after reading about natural deaths being high, plus a lot of severe deformities appearing for some.. but this is a Fantail x Fantail spawn, hardy, with uncomplicated body shapes, I suppose.
  3. Thanks, guys Overdue for an update, but here goes. They've shot up in size - averaging 2cms with nice, fat bellies, but the oldest, biggest ones are closer to 3cm at just over 2 months old. There's a bit of a mix in ages, having rescued a few from a couple of spawns since - the parents are still dropping eggs every week or two, but I've had to stop saving them as it's becoming unrealistic to keep them all. After the problems with losing a lot of fry, then adding salt, not a single one has died on its own, and only a handful have had to be culled.. so there's still more than 200 babies! A lot of them, especially the lightest ones, have begun showing a yellowy colour in patches, soon to be orange, and some speckles where black will come in. Exciting days! They've had yet another home change a few weeks ago, this time into a 6ft tank. They have 4 sponge filters going at max and are doing fine with that current, now they're stronger, so we are in the process of swapping filters around to free up a proper one for their tank. I've started out with the same water level as in their smaller tanks, and have been gradually raising it with each water change. I used to be able to scoop them into a plastic container to transfer them or inspect closely, but they were much too fast and alert for that to work anymore! I read about netting them up, but how it could damage them when they are so small. I saw a lot of mention of siphoning them out through a tube, and although doubtful gave it a shot, but was horrified at how rough it was. I tried herding them into a cup with the net, but chasing them with a cup was stressing them, plus they escaped too easily, making it very slow progress. I wound up scooping them with the net - it was white, and seemingly invisible to them until very close - and putting a container under it before pulling it out of the water, so as not to drag them against the mesh. Awkward, but it got the job done! I'm still feeding the Brine Shrimp, but grinding up flakes/pellets for some meals, and offering gel food for others. They loved the gel food from the start, but took a few goes before they showed much interest in the commercial foods. They're happy to eat any of it now, though - forever hungry. Any time someone walks past, they swim up to the glass and dance, hoping to be fed. I took a video of how they gather at the glass, though forgive the flashing; my camera doesn't cope very well with fluorescent lights.
  4. They've been eating like pigs and growing nicely. They're reaching half an inch. I can see little dorsal fins showing, now! The left-over tub babies also got their own tank, so they've all got a bit more room to move. Water changes are a little more difficult and time-consuming as a result, though. They seem to still be getting sucked about if I turn the sponge filters up too high, so I guess it will be a while yet before I can consider better filtration. The microworm culture took off, so I've been feeding them those sometimes as well. I noted one little guy who seemed to be somewhat put out that they weren't his usual yummy brine shrimp - he'd suck one in, chew, and spit it back out, then try with another incase it tasted different This is a 3-week old next to a 4-week old - one week makes a big difference! Their tails are getting longer by the day, or so it seems (they've grown even more since this photo! I'll have to take some more). There's a whole lot of different tail shapes, but I have no idea which are desirable and which are not, so it will be interesting to see how they develop as they grow. Salt has helped enough that I'm rarely finding a dead one now; I have some prazi on order to treat with when it finally gets here, though at least it's not such a stressful wait now they're doing better. I've noticed a couple of the fry that have just moved from the tubs have some black marks on their fins. I'm not sure if it is simply the beginnings of colouring, or whether ammonia is, or was in the tubs, becoming an issue. An ammonia test before today's change yielded somewhere between 0.50 and 1, but it's about 0.50 treated from the tap already - as far as I'm aware it's something to do with the chloramines in the tap water leaving ammonium in the water after conditioning. I've read that ammonium is not harmful like ammonia but will still affect test results.. but I don't understand whether a reading 24 hours after a change is still mostly ammonium or not. I'll keep up with the water changes, at least.
  5. Ok, will do, as soon as the meds arrive They would receive a half-dose, being fry? Erk, after reading one of the stickies in the breeding forums, I'd already upped it to 0.3% a couple of days ago, all in one hit. The deaths slowed down a lot, but perhaps I've gone about it the wrong way. Should I leave it as is, or dilute down to 0.2%? If nothing happened so far, just leave it. I have been told about the 0.2% on a different forum. Maybe the fry is much hardier than we think, but I went with what the breeders told me Ok - thank you!
  6. Ok, will do, as soon as the meds arrive They would receive a half-dose, being fry? Erk, after reading one of the stickies in the breeding forums, I'd already upped it to 0.3% a couple of days ago, all in one hit. The deaths slowed down a lot, but perhaps I've gone about it the wrong way. Should I leave it as is, or dilute down to 0.2%?
  7. I'm currently raising a batch of fry, but after an easy ride at first, at weeks 2-3 there has been a steady stream of death, more than what I would have expected from natural die-off. I see some oddities amongst them. Due to my inexperience, I'm unsure whether they're deformities or things I could and should be treating for, and am looking for some opinions or advice regarding which they may be so I can keep the little ones healthy! Hopefully this is a better place to post than breeding forum for this. At least six, usually more than double that, had been dying daily - first bottom sitting, then tilting, twitching.. some of these are still eating, scooting along on their bellies or doing occasional burst-swims, and others have empty tummies. I hadn't salted the water at first, but after raising it to 0.3%, the deaths have slowed down a lot. There's still some ill-looking ones, and death isn't gone, but for example today there has only been 3 deaths. I haven't medicated otherwise. I'm not sure that the usual form is applicable to fry raising, but if needed can give the rest of that info a shot. I'm concerned this guy has flukes. I have been told the fry are too small for flukes at this age, and that flukes should be visible by eye, but this shot showed bits poking out where I'd expect to see them. Perhaps they're extra fins or something, though I've ordered some 'Aqua Master Fluke and Tapeworm Tablets' (100mg Praziquantel per tab) incase; probably something to keep handy if it's a false alarm, anyway. Being so small, I can't tell what these red spots are, or even where they are sometimes due to the transparency of the little guys. Seems under the chin is a common spot, though, like in the second pic (sorry for blurriness, best I've been able to get so far, although I can try again if needed).. which has led me to suspect Costia, although it could just as easily be wounds or some other failing on my part in their upkeep. Am I sounding paranoid, yet? Then there's these strange ones.. don't seem fuzzy like fungus, but definate ball-shaped growths under their fins, unless my camera is being misleading. They have a hard time swimming, which is to be expected with the bubbles hampering their fin movement, but they also seem to be a little floaty from them. The second picture is of one who had two sets, if it's even the same thing - the other few have only had the one beneath their fins, though. There's at least one swimming about now, still alive and in seemingly perfect health otherwise. What are your thoughts? There's a little more general info/pictures at http://www.kokosgold...urprise-babies/, if it helps.
  8. A good chunk of the babies got moved into their new tank last night, with the leftovers staying in their less-crowded tubs. I'd salted the tank to 0.3%, and there were no deaths overnight in there! A couple of bottom-sitters.. but they're alive. Same handful of deaths in the tubs though. I'll be salting those to match, after I've changed their water later. I guess I should have done that from the start. It is easier to photograph them now, too! The Brine Shrimp hatched as well, so they got their first taste of that. Pink bellies everywhere! I got a close look at some of the oddities while moving them: Red spot on back. Injury? Burn? Something parasitic? Or maybe just emerging pigment. Flukes? I'm hoping not.. I didn't buy Prazi when I had the opportunity as the salesperson doubted flukes in fry this small. But could be the cause of all this death... Odd-looking guy. This guy has been growing excellently and is one of the strongest swimmers - plus look at that tail! Unfortunately he has a twisted belly.
  9. Thanks for the welcomes - at least my first post gets to be something exciting! I'll need all the luck I can get, blundering my way through this
  10. More than a year and a half ago, I gave my daughter a 15 litre aquarium giftpack and her choice of three little fantail goldies as a birthday present. We soon learned that the cheap, space-economical and low maintenance pets we just got were not that at all. We've spent that time since learning what we can about keeping them healthy, and now they've had babies of their own! Despite their feminine names - oops - Anna and Emily are the fathers, probably more so Anna. Emily is more interested in eating eggs than continuing the chase, I've discovered. Liam is the mother. Hopefully they don't inherit the deformities of Anna.. he's a little.. unique! It wasn't planned.. in the middle of the day on the 7th of July, I noticed what I assumed were mosquito wrigglers. On closer inspection, they were little sticks with eyes, and so I spent the rest of the day scooping out newborns from the sides of the tank so they wouldn't be eaten, and wondering what to do with them. Brine Shrimp eggs are unavailable in my town, so boiled egg yolk and Small Fry liquid food it was. They seemed to love it - especially the egg. I've been feeding them three times a day, four if I'm able to, and I've (almost) gotten the hang of siphoning water out through plastic tubing without sucking any babies up. We set up a plastic 25L tub for them, and moved them in; we had to mess around trying to find the likes of a sponge filter and heater. Less than a week later, we saw eggs in the main tank, and were able to take a few objects out that they had stuck to. We got to watch them develop and wriggle in their eggs, although we missed the hatch because they chose to do so while we slept one night! A lot hatched in the main tank as well.. a lot of eggs must have landed in nooks and crannies where the adults couldn't eat them. So it was back to rescuing out what I could. They'd been growing well initially, as far as I can tell (just how big is average?), and I've had to scrounge up the bits to spread them out to another two tubs to give them more space apiece. I had first estimated 100 fry.. then 140... then 200+.. and I'm starting to wonder what I've gotten myself in for. I've just managed to line up a bigger tank for them, a 2.5 foot one, which I plan to move some into as soon as I can. Hope to be able to see/photograph them better through glass than opaque plastic, too! On the 23rd, the goldies spawned again - the eggs looked a lot fewer, and there were none landing in places I could readily pull out, so I let them be. Of course, a couple of days later, I was back to fishing out babies.. though this time I've had to float them in a tub in the big tank for lack of space, which is at least lighted and warm. I'll move them into a tub when one frees up for some proper water movement and easier water changing. Thankfully there's less of them this time. There were no deaths at first. Then they became one or two a day, which considering the amount of them seemed acceptable. The last few days, at 2-3weeks, have been tougher, with seven deaths overnight a couple of days ago and a couple of new deaths each time I've checked since throughout the day, with a couple looking lethargic and twitchy on the bottoms at all times. I've considered ammonia poisoning, which despite my best efforts could be a reality - the conditioned tap water is already registering around .50 ammonia before fish even get their turn. I've added a little water from the main tank now and then to try and assist in cycling some of that out. I've also considered the plastic from the tubs could be leeching something toxic (all the more reason to move them to a glass tank), as the death rate in Tub 2 is very low, moderate in 1 and very high in Tub 3, which seems odd as there isn't any great difference in how they're set up. Perhaps there's something parasitic at play; lethargy and twitching suggests maybe. Some of the live and dead ones have red spots under their chins, but it's a small portion, and not all death comes with that marker. I purchased some Protozin with the intent to treat for Costia, then thought perhaps I'm jumping the gun.. I've also seen two with what I can only describe as bubbles under their pectoral fins; it doesn't look fuzzy like fungus. Perhaps all this is normal, and one of those die-off periods I keep reading about! I plan to salt the water in the new tank, hopefully that will help a little. I recently bought some Hikari First Bites and have begun offering that. I also received an order of some brine shrimp eggs and a microworm culture - just a waiting game for those to be ready to serve, now. I'm hoping that will boost their growth. Perhaps it's because I'm forever watching them, but it seems their growth rate has slowed. The average size is about 8-9mm. They have little tufts of tail, and there is a slight variation in colour between greenish to yellow-white with some, but still rather transparent; no signs of dorsal fins yet, though, even on those I guess to be the 3 week ones.
  • Create New...