Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ilrak

  1. Thanks so much! Forgot to update for a while, but the babies are doing pretty well! Lost quite a few while we were in Yellowstone, but there are still a lot that have survived! Seven reached the two inch point already and went to a friend who has a "baby pond" alongside her adult pond. We have a few more who will be going to a few horse tanks in two weeks (they still have a few of LB's siblings that they brought indoors one winter) and then after that, the rest will either be going to another friend's pond or the one we are getting ready to put in the backyard for the ones who we just can't part with. The girls are getting ready to spawn again (we had a heat wave that triggered them to think it was time to spawn) but we're not letting these eggs hatch this time. We just got done with the vet visit and have some meds on hand in case they have any issues after laying this batch of eggs (it's been pretty rough on them this week).
  2. We have a vet who does house calls for the girls since they are so big (She's only had to do a few visits, but we are really glad she did since the first time, the girls were crashing hard after only about a day or two of illness and nearly died without the care of that vet). She's the only aquatic vet that we know of here and they specialize in goldfish (they've done a lot of surgeries on older goldies), so that's why we even use a vet. Before we found out about them, we did a lot of home treatment, but when New Fish had his first bout with Septicemia and none of the home treatments were working, we went to find a fish vet for him. They've since become the vet for all of our fish (and the ones we recommend to anyone with fish - his in office visit was $33 and the round of shots was $180 - this was before they taught us to give shots). The girls are a bit more expensive since they are so big and can't travel. It really depends on the situation that the owners are in as to whether or not to go to a fish vet. We have care credit since I had to open it for myself once but paid it off, so we have a way to pay for the vet, but some I know a lot of exotic vets can be expensive or don't even work on fish. A visit for all of our fish is $90, which is definitely cheaper than the birds - which can get over $200. Some of the illnesses we've had to deal with, we need the vets' for (mostly because of needing a prescription for ceftazadine or for spawning issues - the reason for the latest vet visit). The fish are pretty much my kids though so I've been pretty guilty of spoiling them (especially vet-care wise). We even do well checks for them once a year around spawning season just to make sure the girls are healthy during it. I don't think we would be able to do that if it weren't for care credit and having such a good fish vet that is local and does house calls.
  3. Fry update! I've taken about 200 photos (I need to find a way to host them in a fryary sort of thing) This one makes me happy though, even with the terrible cellphone quality. I took it during a cleaning (so the bubble filter was off and everyone was migrating to it): Look at that tail! I'm such a happy fish mom! this is only a tiny fraction of the fish in the rubbermaid. We're trying to find a way to cap the tank we used to have fry in before (it's drilled for a canister said canister has since gone away) so that I can move them into there.
  4. Thanks! I actually set up the camera and set it to run . The original video of it is almost 30 minutes! I had seen him move in the egg earlier that day and so I knew to set up the camera. xD It gave me an idea for a teaser trailer for my game though so after I get my animation software reinstalled on my computer, I get to work on that (in between feedings xD)
  5. I totally forgot to post this video I took of one of the eggs hatching! We're pretty sure this one was one of LB and Guy's since LB laid eggs later than Izzy did (and most of Izzy's had hatched by that point. Right now, we have a ton of free swimmers and so far no dead fry! I'll do a count tonight (I'm going to have to transfer to a tub because way more survived and hatched than I thought would xD
  6. Meant to post sooner! The earlier spawn was unproductive (it was Guy's first time as well), but for Mother's Day, I was greeted by the sight of several eggs. This time, I was quicker with the breeding tank as well and fished out (pardon the pun) as many as I could. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/2015-05-10%2015.35.04.jpg Today, I was greeted by this awesome sight: http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/2015-05-13%2008.28.26.jpg Most of the babies are free swimming it looks like (which is weird since the first eggs were laid Sunday as far as I can tell and the latest were laid Monday (confirmed to be LB's since we watched that spawning xD). There are quite a few still living off of embryos as well. LB and Izzy also attracted by attention to this little free swimming guy who was put into the "baby transport" glass that I haven't had to use for 3 years. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/2015-05-13%2008.39.20-1.jpg I'm so excited! Now though, I need to go buy more plants because after spawning, LB tore up all of the plants and then refused to go anywhere near them so they had to be put into the breeding tank xD Yay babies!
  7. Last night, I came home from work to find Guy (who was finally allowed to be with the girls) in the middle of a spawning chase with LB and Izzy! Sure enough, I have eggs! I've separated what I could into the hospital tank and have put a DIY spawning mop (thank you SolidGold!) in the tank. I'll have to stock back up on baby food if these ones hatch! It's been so long since I had fry! I'm so excited! I just wish they would've waited! And I'm wondering who the mother will be for sure of the ones I hatched. Currently, Izzy is the main target and LB is occasionally the target of nipping, but not as much as poor Izzy. I'll post pictures soon! -ilrak
  8. Three years ago, on March 1st, I was doing a water change. I noticed Poole and New Fish, my big Common and Ryukin, were frantically swimming near the overflow. I thought it was just a "feed me" dance (and didn't think it could be what it turned out to be, having just seen breeding stars on New Fish, and foolishly thinking that Poole just didn't have easily visible ones), but something compelled me to look in the overflow. That's when I saw LB and her sibling who I wasn't quick enough to save. I scooped her into a jelly jar until I could set up a baby tank (yay Koko's!) http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2012-03-01%2016.08.39.jpg Judging from the picture, I had to assume she was at least two weeks old. Over the next two nights, I saved a few more siblings who had just started free swimming from the overflow. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2012-03-03%2011.57.58.jpg http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2012-03-08%2013.58.45.jpg (The "Magnificent Seven" - LB, Cleo, Pongo, Goldie, Howard, and Banner) http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2012-03-27%2013.13.41.jpg http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2012-04-03%2022.25.41.jpg After a week, we had pulled 61 babies out of the main tank (an accident unfortunately occurred during a water change involving LB figuring out how to get past the divider that separated her from her "eyelash" siblings). By the end of April, we had 39 babies who were being readied to go to new homes in Summer mosquito abatement ponds. The Magnificent Seven stayed with us for most of their lives. They were moved into their own grow out tank (by this time, I had more tanks in the house than I ever thought I would). http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2012-06-07%2020.00.49.jpg At my mom's insistence (the tanks were getting to be a bit much for her), once the babies were bigger, Four of the Magnificent Seven (LB, Cleo, Pongo, and Howard) went to live with their mom and dad who immediately nuzzled them and guarded them from the "evil syphon". New Fish seemed to like them the most. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2012-08-29%2016.19.53.jpg Poole with LB (the only good picture I have of the two of them). After Poole passed, New Fish stopped eating, even though he was in good health. My mom and I were out getting fish supplies at our LFS when we were shown Izzy, a female who had been surrendered. We ended up bringing her home to the quarantine tank before adding her in. The kids accepted her right away, but New Fish took about six months to finally accept her completely. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2014-01-04%2013.48.42.jpg http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2014-04-06%2015.59.07.jpg (Izzy also taught them how to pull up the bubbler, plants, and how to knock over the Avengers decorations - Something New Fish never took part in and something that the kids never did until Izzy came in) http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2014-06-19%2021.22.03.jpg Eventually, most of the fish were rehomed, and we just had LB, Banner, New Fish and Izzy. LB spent a lot of time with her dad who was starting to slow down. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2014-06-20%2008.51.56.jpg LB (up until her recent illness) was not much of a bottom sitter - unless her dad was resting at the bottom, in which case she would lie next to him. This happened on the day he died as well, and she tried to right him multiple times (according to my mom - I was on my way home from work when I got the call) after he passed. She also went after my hand when I pulled his body out (he had outgrown the net), which is something she never did. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2014-09-29%2020.25.13.jpg Last picture of the four of them together Now we have LB's most recent picture (outside of vet care pictures) http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Pictures/2014-11-11%2013.26.50.jpg She's my (not so) little genius and has figured out ways to eat trapdoor snails (possibly genetic as her mom had figured out how to open the clams we attempted to use in their tank) and most recently she has learned ways to evade the net for shots (including using Izzy, who is not as smart, as a piscine shield). Even though she sometimes seems to be too smart for her own good, I wouldn't have her any other way.
  9. Thanks so much! I think she's drastically improved in the last couple days! She actually (very voraciously) ate her peas (and a bloodworm treat after she was sort of well behaved during yesterday's shot). Izzy is doing much better too (she was not prickly or anything but was dealing with the septicemia). Her scales even look like they've smoothed out! I'll definitely update if things change though. Right now, I'm just ecstatic that I have my little genius pond puppy back!
  10. Just finished the goldfish rodeo to try and get good pictures (LB is the genius out of the two and had to be coaxed into calming down enough for photos by letting her give my hand kisses - I think I've found a new way to trick her into her shots as well). We don't have a large enough travel container right now that is empty so we had to coax her into the Giant net (the vets do house calls for the girls now - they used to be able to do car rides pre-growth spurt) The shot they are on is Ceftazidime given intramuscularly and I believe it's 0.1 ml . Some of the better shots I took. I had a hard time getting the area where I'm seeing the slight raise (if that is what I'm seeing - It just doesn't look normal for her): http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Top%20View/2015-03-23%2014.30.01.jpg (if you look towards the tail, that's where I'm most concerned as it seems the scales on the underside and to the back are raising slightly. http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Top%20View/2015-03-23%2014.28.30.jpg http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Top%20View/2015-03-23%2014.29.43.jpg http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/LB%20Top%20View/2015-03-23%2014.28.50.jpg Here's the album of the photos I took as well: http://s134.photobucket.com/user/flippin_k_moon/library/LB%20Top%20View Thanks so much! I hope I'm just being paranoid because she's my baby girl (even if she's as big as my head)
  11. Test Results for the Following: * Ammonia Level(Tank) - 0.25 ppm * Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0 ppm * Nitrate level(Tank)5.0 ppm * Ammonia Level(Tap) - 0.25 ppm * Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0 ppm * Nitrate level(Tap) - 5.0 ppm * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.6 * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) = 7.6 Other Required Info: * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit * Water temperature? 79 degrees (doing an ich treatment as well) * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 90 gallons and it's been running for 4 years * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penn-Plax Cascade 1500 (I think). * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 50% water change * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - Just did one this morning (80%) * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Female commons, 12 inches * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, I think all of the salt is out of the tank. * What do you feed your fish and how often? Right now, they are getting Hikari frozen Spirulina in the morning and peas at night. Normally, they get 6 large pellets (per girl) and 2 pinches of NLS in the morning and then the same at night. * Any new fish added to the tank? Guy was in the tank until he started Chasing the girls while they were trying to recover so he is in a QT tank until the girls feel better. * Any medications added to the tank? Salt has been in the tank as has Erythromycin, but I think it's all been removed. * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt and Heat for ich, Erythromycin for Seepticemia until the vet took them off about three days ago, currently also administering antibiotic shots from the vet every 72 hours * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody streaks (clearing up with the shots) and slightly raised scale on LB * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting for 50% of the day, just started eating again after almost a week of refusing food. Hi! So, I've been treating LB and Izzy for Septicemia with the help of my vet, but I'm not sure if I'm dealing with Pineconing or not on LB (this is the first year that the girls have ever been sick). The girls are currently on an antibacterial shot (I can't remember the type) and I just did an 80% water change today after 50% last week (so I think I have all of the salt from the Ich out if I need to do Epsom Salt). LB has perked up tremendously with the shots (her third shot out of five is due on Tuesday night), but I am afraid she has some raised scales. She has finally started eating again after a few days of not eating any food. She and Izzy are both in the main tank since I don't have a big enough quarantine for the girls anymore (they grew pretty quickly in the last couple months, from LB only being 6 inches a few months ago). http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/2015-03-23%2013.41.01.jpg And zoomed in (it's hard to get a photo from above now that she's feeling better - everything is a net that means "shots" to her now!) http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/56cb7463-40a8-4c66-afba-699f1e3b5342.jpg What do you think? Is she starting to pine cone, and should I add in some Epsom Salt? (and if so, how much - I've never had a pineconing fish before!)
  • Create New...