Hi guys! Was wondering if you could help me out with my fantail Black Moor, Hugo. He's not been acting himself recently; I'm getting a little concerned about him.
Firstly, I'll tell you a bit about him. I've had him for a year, he has never been sick before. He has had a few tank mates that have passed away, but he has never gotten sick himself. I would say he's roughly 15cm long. He has been living in his 140L tank for almost 8 months now. He has lovely pink, crisp gills, no physical ailments, no split fins... He looks, physically, perfectly healthy. I know he's a boy as he has shown his breeding stars. The filter is new, about three months old (I can't really remember when EXACTLY I put it in but it was roughly 3mo ago, give or take a couple of weeks) as the old one that came with the JEBO gave out. I don't have any live plants, the only other fish in there are 6x Zebra Danios. They are perfectly healthy, have no problems and get along fine with the Goldfish.
I noticed over the last fortnight Hugo started acting funny. He is bottom sitting- at first I wasn't concerned because I only caught him sitting once, and didn't see him do it again...
Then he started yawning, I catch him yawning a bit now, (can't really specify how many times per hour etc) but it's very unlike him. Once I saw that, naturally I checked his gills out, but they are just as crisp and lovely and pink as always. Now he's spending almost all day sitting, he swims around a little bit, and is super active only in the nighttime around about his dinnertime and first thing in the morning. I also noticed, just over the last couple of nights, his poo is looking a little stringy. I have had fish with internal bacterial infections before, it's definitely not super long or white or trailing or sticking, but it will be broken up with small gaps of empty casing. I know it's normal for fish to have a little bit of casing or gaps now and again... I don't know if that's related at all but I felt it would be worth mentioning.
A few days after the initial bottom sitting I did an antibiotic run with Maracyn (something I need to import from the US as we don't have antibiotics available for sale here in Aus) but it didn't really seem to help.
He does swim around, it doesn't take much to rouse him after he settled but it is a complete change from his usual self, swimming around and eating algae off the ornaments all day. I can't think of what has happened, considering I never miss a water change, keep all the levels steady, alternate his diet between fresh Nutrimax flakes, frozen brine shrimp and soft peas, give him plenty of light, aeration... His tankmate is doing perfectly fine too.
Admittedly his tankmate is new, but the behaviour started about a week BEFORE I added the second goldfish, Cornelius, into the tank. Cornelius was quarantined for three weeks, he is in perfect health.
The only event I can think of coinciding with his behavior was that I fed him some live brine shrimp... It was soon after his shrimpy-treat that his behavior started changing. I know some live food can carry bacteria and parasites, could this be a possibility? I would estimate that his behavior started about 2-3 days after the last bit of live food I fed him. My Danios snacked on them too (they LOVE Brine Shrimp), they all seem fine save one, who seems to be feeling a little low as well.
Anyway, here are my parameters:
Other Required Info:
* Ammonia Level 0ppm
* Nitrite Level 0
* Nitrate level 0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6, GH is at 160ppm
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) I checked a while back, but from memory they were both quite low-it the pH was about 6.4 and the GH about 70ppm...
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit- Drop test.
* Water temperature? Fluctuates between 16-18 degrees Celcius. It has gotten a little colder now that it's Autumn.
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 140L, running eight months. New filter has been running for three.
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 700L capacity, Moray Internal Filter by Aqua One. (Not the best, I know, but after the old one gave out I had to buy one quickly as possible and just never got around to buying a better one. Seems to be doing the job just fine...)
* How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, sometimes twice, 30%-40% of water changed.
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last change was three nights ago, I changed 30%.
* How many fish in the tank and their size? Two goldfish, one is 15cm (Hugo) and the other is 12cm (Cornelius)- both have telescopic eyes and are fantails. 6x Zebra Danios vary in size, ranging between 5cm-7cm
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Stability, Prime, Stress Zyme, Goldfish Water Conditioner.
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Every night, either a couple pinches of nutrafin max flakes (for all of them, both Goldies and Danios) or 2-3 boiled, sofy, mushed up peas. Occasionally I thaw some frozen brine shrimp and feed them half a block. Other times I buy fresh Brine Shrimp from my local Aquarium.
* Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, but behavior started prior to new fish.
* Any medications added to the tank? Did do one run of Maracyn- didn't help.
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Couple of 5-day runs of Maracyn and Maracyn II in the past- most recently a week ago, time before that was probably four months ago when his tank mate fell ill. (Still not sure what happened to the tank mate, died suddenly with no symptoms other than bottom sitting the day before. Physically, no ailments, not sure? This is why I'm so worried about Hugo!!!) Couple runs of Melafix and Pimafix after an old tank mate had a couple of split fins about six months ago.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? May be my imagination (you know you don't find something wrong unless you go look for it...) but his eyes look a little bit cloudy over the last couple days.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, yawning... Other than that he eats like normal, interacts with his tank mate like normal. His fins do not clamp at all, even when he bottom sits. About two months ago he was fin-flicking, but stopped by himself after a couple of days. Don't know what was wrong but he didn't do it again?
He is my special little guy!! I would do anything for him, price is not important. Please know though, that in Australia we don't have a lot of the medications that you guys do in the US!! Every time I've gotten a Mardel product I've had to order it on eBay and have had to wait a minimum of four weeks for it to arrive. It is also hard for me to really monitor him properly as I work 5 days a week, leaving at 6AM and arriving home at 7PM. I'm only able to monitor him weekends and evenings. I have tried to supply as much info as possible so that you guys can help me as best as you can... Any more questions, I will do my best to answer!!!!! I would do anything for Hugo!!!!!!
Thank you - Amz.