Hi. My name is Holly and I am writing for help with my and my boyfriend's (Josh) goldfish. I am concerned about my goldfish, Pucca. I think she is a comet goldfish. I won her and another goldfish (who has since died probably due to tank size--I didn't know that goldfish needed a lot of water at first ) at a festival in October and have learned a lot about fish keeping since then (thanks to a good friend), but I always need to learn more. I consider myself a novice still, so any advice is received gratefully. When I first brought her home, I had her and the other fish in a 2.5 gallon tank. That didn't work well and thankfully a friend told me I needed to get her into a larger tank immediately and gave me a 10 gallon. I live in an apartment and know that 10 gallon is too small probably for her, but I am hoping to convince the leasing agent to let us have a slightly larger tank soon, as I think 10 gallon is our restricted size. She has been healthy and happy for months, but had a small adventure a few weeks ago that I fear may be the reason for her fin problem now. We left for work around noon and didn't return home until almost midnight that evening. Pucca was not in her tank. She had jumped out (not sure when this happened), over the filter, possibly landed on a sponge and into the kitchen sink (behind her tank) in a frying pan of water that was soaking from breakfast. I think she is a lucky fish but I am afraid she has had an injury we didn't catch soon enough. When we first got her back in the tank, one of her eyes was cloudy (maybe from butter in the pan?), but that has since cleared up. She also had a small area on her side (I think its the same area where the white patch is now) that looked damaged--a couple scales missing and slightly discolored. Her fins started to separate a bit, but seemed better for about a week. She was extremely skittish and hid near the bottom of her tank for about a week. She finally last week started acting normal and we figured that the frequent water changes (about every 2 days) were helping. This week, however, her tail fin is almost gone and its happening fast. I don't know how to help her, but I don't want to lose her if possible. Any advice on possible medicine or anything else we can do is appreciated. Thanks!
Test Results for the Following:
Other Required Info:
* Ammonia Level--I don't think my test strips test for this. I didn't realize that until just now. I am pretty new to fishkeeping. I will look for some test strips as soon as I can make it back into the store.
* Nitrite Level--Between 20-40 ppm (mg/L) (In safe zone on bottle)
* Nitrate level--Between 0-20 mg/L (much closer to 0 though)
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) It is between 6.8-7.2 GH (neutral according to test strip bottle), Around 40 KH (Low alkalinity)
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) It has a GH of about 150 ppm(soft-hard range) and a KH of around 80 ppm.
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Jungle 5-N-1 test strips (quick dip)
* Water temperature? Temperature is usually aroung 75 degrees F, sometimes goes down 1-2 degrees with water changes but then levels out in a couple hours.
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon tank that has been running about 3 months
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Filter is for a 30 gallon aquarium I think (not sure about the "size"...it was given to us and I am a bit new to this.(Says AquaClear 50 on top of it if that helps)
* How often do you change the water and how much? We do a 50% water change at least once a week, since she has been sick we have tried to do it every other day or every 3 days (50%)
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last water change was yesterday (1/5/12) and we changed about 60% of the water.
* How many fish in the tank and their size? One goldfish in the tank that is about 2 inches long
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Use Tetra AquaSafe additive with every water change (usually half a capful or 5 mL)
* What do you feed your fish and how often? I feed her Goldfish flake food (Wardley brand) twice a day (small pinch=5-6 flakes each time)
* Any new fish added to the tank? No.
* Any medications added to the tank? No, I have never added any medication to her tank or salt.
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I have never used any medication. I have added a little extra AquaSafe during some of the water change as I was told this might help if the issue was water quality. (10mL instead of the normal 5mL dose)
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? She has an extremely frayed tail fin that is steadily getting worse. Her tail fin is almost gone. Last night, I saw a white (fuzzy-like) spot on her side too. I am afraid that whatever is hurting her tail is starting to spread. The tail also looks a little bit red (not bright red, but not the normal orange either).
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She is still eating pretty normally (maybe a bit less than normal, but still over half of what I put in there twice a day). She still acts excited about food. She does seem to be hovering near the top a lot more than usual, maybe getting air at the surface. She also has been swimming in circles more than usual, but this may be normal.
This is a video showing her spot and tail fin. Please let me know if it doesn't work. I was not sure how to put the video in here correctly.
Thank you so much for helping in advance! *Holly*