Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

Previous Fields

  • Age
  • Referred By
  • How many Goldfish
  1. We are definately going to go with a less to no gravel approach. Another member suggested filling the 'hole' in the hollow ornament with food grade silicone, so we may do that, too. When you say run the 1/20 bleach solution in the tank for a few hours, does this include the biowheel in the filter? Is that enough to clean it out or do we need to throw it away and get a new one? I have extra cartriges and will start anew with those. I think we'll fill the tank up next week or before I leave and start letting it develop a natural cycle instead of using the Tetra Safestart. To be honest, I'm discouraged and done with fish for awhile, so if it takes a month to get a full cycle going, I'm fine with that. Thanks to all who've helped. cj
  2. Thank you. I will check out getting a bottle of Prime instead of the Tetra Aquasafe. Any suggestions on: A good brand of water syphon--the current one came from Petsmart A good way of cleaning and sterilizing the tank and gravel We are going to break down the tank, clean everything thoroughly and let it completely dry out. I hope we can kill any parasites in there and remove any bacteria or whatever it was that killed our fish. Any advice or a link to more information about that would be very much appreciated. I tried everything I could to do the right things for them, but they weren't the right things and it was just not enough. I really just feel awful. It just seems so odd that we could keep our 3 inch common alive and seemingly healthy in an unfiltered one gallon tank for 8 months, but move him into a nice cycled 25 gallon heavily filtered tank and bang--dead the next month. It's disconcerting. Thanks to all who helped. Cj
  3. Nyn died last night. Thanks to all who tried to help us out. Cj
  4. We started by doing a 40% water change, then dosed the Prazi at 1.25 teaspoons for 25 gallons. He wasn't looking any better at all by the third day, so we did another water change and redosed. He started looking better, so I intended to wait 4-5 days before the next water change and then do a third dose. Unfortunately he 'crashed' again, so we did the water change and dose on day 4, which was last Wednesday. Yesterday he parked himself head down in a plant and stayed there for a few hours. I'd decreased the salt to .1%, so increased it just a bit, to almost .2%. This perked him right up, but it didn't last. By this morning he was back at the bottom, and looks like he's having trouble breathing. We've intentionally left the water level low so that the filter agitates the water even more. I'm just not sure what to do next. It looked like the Prazi was going to do the trick, but now he looks sicker than ever. This is frustrating. I am trying not to stress him too much by moving things around and messing with the tank, but I'm afraid we'll lose him if we don't do something. My 16 year old is very keen on getting him out of the tank, and he and my husband will be in charge of the tank while I'm gone. They usually do the water changes anyway and my son knows how to test the water. I may let him try it if he's willing to take on the project. If we allow that, how should we clean the gravel, plants, and decor? Is it likely to help, or is this pretty much an exercise in futility? We used Tetra Safestart when we set the tank up and we were seeing Nitrates within 6 days, so we might try that again if we go the whole-tank-cleaning route. Thanks, Cj
  5. We do vacuum the gravel when we do a water change, but to be honest it doesn't seem that powerful of a vacuum. I bumped up the salt from .1% to about .2% last night. It did seem to help some temporarily but he's been down on the bottom in the plant all day long. I'll do as you suggest and remove the hollow bridge, and remove the gravel bit by bit but I'm still rather worried we're going to lose him. I don't know what else to do for him besides change the water and dose Prazi about every three to four days. How often can that medication be used? Thanks. Cj
  6. We do have a hollow bridge and about an inch or so of large gravel. I've since learned that these two things aren't good to have in a tank and that we should seal up the hollow ornament if we want to keep it in there. Also that we should have less, if not none of the gravel. We'd planned to take it out a little at a time, but he's looking so sick that I feel I need to do something. How does one go about cleaning a tank? I've searched on "how to sterilize a tank" on this forum but I haven't come up with anything. Is there a thread somewhere here that I have missed? I do have a rubbermaid-like tub I could house him in until we clean this tank out. Can flukes live in the filter media? Would we need to buy a new biowheel or can this one be rinsed off in dechlorinated water? We can give it a try, anyway. Would you dose the Prazi again? Today is the third day since the third dose went in. Thanks for staying with me on this.
  7. Has anyone tried moving the fish into a clean tub while the main tank is being thoroughly? Might this work to get rid of the parasites? thanks Cj
  8. Thanks, Jennie. I did float a bottle of ice in there, just to see if that helped a bit. Nyn is at the bottom with his fins down, looking miserable and he's been like that for a few hours. He goes from looking almost better to being at death's door, I wish I understood why. His tankmate did the same thing before finally dying one night. I did increase the salt just slightly last night and that seemed to perk him up some, but tonight he is looking pretty miserable. I'd guess that the Prazi is just about gone by now, I could do another water change . Anyone else have any suggestions before I start syphoning water again? Thank you. Cj
  9. Hi DNAlex, I'm sorry, I didn't do that form again and I should have. * Ammonia Level - 0 * Nitrite Level - 0 * Nitrate level - 0 Wondering if my cycle has been damaged by past meds, but can't really tell as ammonia is always 0. We've been doing massive water changes every 1-3 days. * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.4 * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8 Other Required Info: * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master kit, drops * Water temperature? 80-82 * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 25, about 6 weeks * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penguin Biowheel 200 * How often do you change the water and how much? Maintenance is once per week, 40% or so water change. For the past 2 weeks between 50-70% every 2-3 days. * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago, 40% * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Shubunkin, about 1.5 inches not including tail * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra Aquasafe, .1% salt * What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra Goldfish flakes, soaked. Occasionally peas or lettuce * Any new fish added to the tank? No. This WAS the new fish. The original fish, a common, died of whatever it is that's ailing this one. * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi Pro, added yesterday. 1.25 teaspoons, one teaspoon of salt per gallon of water. * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Approx 3 weeks ago, we added the Shubunkin to the tank. About a week later the common started pacing, flashing, and acting ill. On the advice of the lfs, i used parasite guard. We went three rounds with that, doing water changes each time and salted to 1 TBS per 5 Gallons of water. Then I found this board and did two 70% water changes back to back to get all the meds and salt out of the water and began the salting process again. The common died. Then the Shubunkin started showing symptoms. I increased the salt to .3% and started Prazi Pro. After the first round, he looked much better and we reduced the salt to .1%, because apparently Prazi works better at lower salt doses. I dosed again after three days. He continued to get better but on day 3, he started with the behavior outlined in the post above. The third dose of Prazi went in yesterday after a 40% water change. At present, he's sitting near the bottom with his head in a plastic plant. :-( * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I found white fuzzy spots on a piece of tank decor and removed it immediately. There is nothing on the fish nor on anything else in the tank that I can see. * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Alternates between cruising the top of the tank for bubbles, swimming erratically, and sitting with his head in up against the filter intake. Currently parked in a plastic plant. He did not eat anything last night and has eaten nothing today. Thanks for any advice on what more to do with this fish. If we remove him and clean the tank, I plan to not return most, if any, of the gravel. When doing weekly water changes, do most people remove and scrub down tank decor? We haven't been, and I wonder if this is part of the problem. I know the drops don't test for everything. Cj
  10. We've been fighting what we think are flukes in a 25 gallon tank. After two doses of Prazi, our 2 inch Shubunkin looked somewhat better--starting to eat without spitting it all out everytime, not bottom sitting, etc. On the third day after the second dose, I came home to find him sitting on the bottom with his fins down again. :-( Then he perked up and went to the top of the tank and cruised around as if looking for food, air, or bubbles. I wondered if there was something up with the water--API test drops say no ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates. The filter agitates the water pretty agressively, so I think he's got enough air. I did a water change and things got no better. Day 4 after the Prazi, we work up to find him floating head down, then he perked up and swam around erratically and somewhat unsteadily. I dosed Prazi again. He alternates between behaving normally, swimming erratically, cruising the top of the tank and sitting plastered against the filter intake. Perhaps that soothes his poor gills. I'd planned on redosing at 5 days with the next water change, but he looks so miserable that I redid it again on day 4. This is the third dose. He looks like he almost has seizures, he'll stop swimming and float with the current, or shake his head furiously. I'm really worried that we're going to lose him. His tank made died about 2 weeks ago. Last night, I noticed that there were some white fuzzy spots on one of the pieces of decor. It reminds me of the little nest that spiders hatch out of! I removed it immediately. Any idea what that could be?? I don't see it anywhere else in the tank. We do a 30-50% water change weekly, and use Tetra Aqua Safe for a dechlorinator. We are trying to think of ways to get rid of these parasites. We are new to fishkeeping and have already lost one fish to this problem. I've read here that flukes are nearly impossible to remove from a tank once you've got them, and we find this disconcerting. Would it work to remove the fish from the big tank, house him in a hospital tank or tub for a time and treat him there? In the meantime, empty out the original tank, sterilize everything (any advice on HOW to do this would be appreciated) and then return the fish later? This would be a huge pain in the rear, but we can't go on like this, it's just too stressful. In about two weeks, I'm going to be leaving for about a week and a half, and the kids are going to be in charge of everything fish related. They are teenagers and pretty capable, but I want to get things at least close to being fixed. I realize we'll have to start the cycle all over again, but it beats running a losing battle with this parasite. In the meantime, the Shubunkin is looking mighty poorly, and I'm not sure what else to do for him besides keep dosing the Prazi. I've salted the tank to .01 (1 tsp per gallon). If anyone thinks we could be successful with a whole tank clean out, I'll be back with more questions on how that process should go. Any advice appreciated, Cj
  11. Thank you!! I feel badly that I didn't find this forum before Flo got so bad. S/he might have been saved had I come here and not gone to the LFS. :-( I admit, I still look at the tank and miss our little "golden whale". He had a lot of personality and we enjoyed him. I'm so relieved that the little 'bunkin is doing better, though. Thanks much to everyone for the help and support. Cj
  12. At last--improvement!! Thanks to all who have been helping me sort out the problems with my goldfish, especiallyDNAlex and Tinkosheki who've helped sort out the problems with Nyn. I added PraziPro on Thursday night. Nyn stayed at the bottom of the tank until last night--now his dorsal fin is up, and he's been out from under the bridge and swimming around a bit. He even tried to eat a few flakes of food, though he still spat them out. He is showing signs of disress tonight, though, starting to rub up against things and wiggle against the gravel to scratch his underbelly. I'm not sure if this is just leftover itchiness or if there's a hatch out happening. My tank tends to run warm, about 86 degrees F, even though I put water that's about 80 in for water changes. I know that Prazi is reputed to hang around in the water for about three days--would it dissipate faster with the warmer temperature? The directions on the bottle say that you can re-dose every 3-5 days, and I'd planned on doing it tonight after a water change. However, I'm seeing differing opinions here, mainly that you'd dose once, wait three days for it to dissipate, then wait 4 days, and then dose again. Can anyone explain why you'd do this rather than follow the directions on the bottle? I'd like to understand the reasoning behind this approach. Also, I've had the tank salted to 2 tsp per gallon for about two weeks now. For how long is this safe? At what point should I start reducing the salinity by doing water changes without resalting? Thanks, Cj
  13. Will do on the gravel--we'll just do it gradually during water changes, so as to be able to vacuum up anything that's stirred up. How long is it safe to keep the tank salted at this level? It's currently at 2 tsp per gallon, and we are going on two weeks now. I held off adding the last tsp per gallon because he seemed to get worse when I added that second teaspoon per gallon--I'm unsure if it was due to what's ailing him or if he's just more sensitive to it than Flo was. I'm still pretty worried about Nyn--he's still not looking a bit better. He has only shifted position on the bottom of the tank today, has not been out and about at all. He stirred when we put a few goldfish flakes in, but only when one went right past his nose. He did not look able to get himself out from under the bridge to get any more, and then he seemed to just give up. I put about 1 1/4 tsp of prazi in last night, figuring that I don't have a full 25 gallons, given the gravel, plants and bridge. I hope he perks up tomorrow. I know that goldfish can go a week or two without eating, but to see him not interested at all is disconcerting. Guess all I can do at the moment is wait. :-( Cj
  14. Hmmm...Nyn is still plastered to the bottom of the tank today, up against the bridge. Last night he came out and showed interest in eating, even though he spit it all out. This morning, when I turned on the light he looked like he wanted to come out and nose around, but just couldn't get himself up and out. His gills are moving rapidly and hard. Poor little guy. I am going with the "every three days for about a month" treatment. I'm assuming I should also do my regular weekly water changes with that. My tank runs on the warm side, 82-85, so according to what I've read the lifecycle of this parasite may be fairly quick, but I want to be sure it's gone before I stop, if indeed this is flukes. I only purchased a one ounce bottle of Prazi Pro so I might have to get some more. How long till I'd expect to see signs of improvement? I'd like to know I'm doing the right thing for him--any sign of him feeling better would be encouragement that we're on the right track. I sure hope he makes it. I'm considering removing at least some of the gravel when next we do a water change--is this a good idea or is it just likely to stir up any gunk that's lurking on the bottom and make things that much worse? thanks, Cj and Nyn
  15. Thank you for such complete information--I now know just what to look for when going silicone shopping. As to going gravel-less, I guess I wouldn't mind it, but right now it'd be hard to remove it while the fish is still in the tank, wouldn't it? Yikes, that would be a major project. I have a small one gallon tank that Flo used to live in, I suppose I could put Nyn in there while we seal up his bridge and remove the gravel. Would it be OK to have a very thin layer, like maybe 1/4 inch that can be thoroughly vacuumed? I've actually wondered about this. We put the 'recommended amount of gravel' into the tank when we bought it, but anything that falls to the bottom layers clearly doesn't get removed during the average vac session. The LFS said about an inch to one and a half of gravel would be good--but I know now that everything the LFS says is not gospel truth. I worry a little about what's in the bottom layers. We did a water change tonight and I added the Prazi Pro per instructions on the bottle. I resalted to current levels, about 2 tsp. per gallon. He actually came out and looked around a little bit, which was encouraging, he hasn't been out much since I added the last batch of salt. Maybe he's finally getting used to it. I hope the Prazi helps him and that he's looking a little better in the next few days. The bottle says that the medicine stays active for 5-7 days, but that you can redose after 3-5. In this case, how many times would you dose a fish and at what intervals? Of course, the bottle says "once", but is that really the case given the life cycle of flukes and some worms? Thanks again, Cj and Nyn
  • Create New...