Hi Guys. Fluffy has been spending a lot of time floating updside down at the top of the tank the last few months, and seemed much better with eating Repashy. Now, she is bottom sitting, breathing heavily, and will occasionally rouse herself to swim up to the top for a big gulp of air...then she sinks back town, releasing bubbles from her mouth. She's seeming worse today so I thought I'd start this D&D thread...since I have a few days off and can actually do some treatment.
Here are the details:
Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level (tank): <1
* Nitrite Level (tank) 0
* Nitrate level (Tank) 10 - 20
* Ammonia Level (Tap): <.25
* Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
* Nitrate level (Tap) 0
* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.8
* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.8 Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 405 canister, & Whisper 20
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime & Exel Flourish
* Water temperature? 68 - 70
* How often do you change the water and how much? 80% every 7-10 days
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 80% 7 days ago
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, 1 year, but I've had Fluffy for 2 years.
* How many fish in the tank and their size? Fluffy the ryukin 3" body, Hercule the fantail 3" body, Jelly 2" body, Emma the eggfish 2.5" body; 4 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 4 nerites (2 small, 2 large)
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy 2x per day (Soilent green & meat pie), fast 1 day a week, leafy green veggies 1-2 times a week, blood worm occasionally.
* Any new fish added to the tank? no
* Any medications added to the tank? no
* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) mild dropsy about 1 year ago, floating after eating for the last few months. This improved a lot with the repashy, but still happened almost every day.,
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White bacterial spot on tail fin (on 2 of the fish) and split tail fins.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Sits on bottom, breathing heavy...sometimes seems to stop breathing. Will occasionally (2-3 times an hour) swim quickly up to surface, take a big gulp of air, then sink back down releasing bubble from her mouth. Fluffy eats like normal...it's the only time she rouses herself from the bottom. The other fish seem a bit listless, and Hercule has a white spot on tail as well.
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I treated with Prazi & salt a year ago when adding new fish. That's really it for this tank.
* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.
Here's a short video of her :
and with her head in the bushes:
I am thinking that it may be flukes, and have 2 doses of Prazi on hand, and Metro meds/JumpStart. I added 9T of salt this morning to bring salt to .01% to address the bacterial spot. Planning to do a big waterchange today...hopefully you'll be able to help me come up with a treatment plan that I can start doing.
Thanks a lot, everyone!