Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Orandafish

  1. Why did I not like the sand? For starters, I had it in acrylic tanks, and no matter how careful, it would scratch the sides during cleaning. Also, I did not like how it doesn't settle as quickly as rocks and seems to leave a "dust" on decorations and plants. I also did not like finding sand in my filter. The filter impeller in one of my small tanks kept blocking up with the sand any time there was a disruption. I had to be careful not to suck up sand when I did water changes. I also did not like seeing every poo piece sitting on top of the sand. Althought it made it easier to detect for cleaning, I felt like I was poop-scooping a litter pan trying to keep the tank looking nice. The rocks I use are very fine, not like the average aquarium rock sold in bags at the pet stores. It is a natural tumbled rock measuring between 3-4mm in size. I find it an acceptable size for the fish to sift without getting pebbles stuck in their mouths and yet does not leave a dust storm behind them. I've had nightmrare results with larger stones. Ever tried to remove a rock lodged in an oranda's mouth? Not a good time. If you use sand or have a bare bottom, and it works for you, that's great. Each to their own. I think I'll stick to my rocks for now.
  2. I've tried sand in my smaller tanks and hated it. And my personal preference is that bare bottom tanks aren't esthetically pleasing. I've had this tiny gravel for over 20 years, only adding to it when I upgraded from 55 gallons to 125 about 5 years ago. I fed the 1mm pellets(soaked) today. They seemed to sink a little slower than the 3mm pellets. Most of the food was gobbled up mid tank. Thank you for the advice.
  3. The reason I asked about substrate is because I am concerned with these tiny pellets getting lost down in my fine gravel and causing water problems. I was curious if dnalex had the same substrate. I am going to give the 1mm pellets a try though.
  4. This fish weighs nearly 400grams (should be there shortly), eats 1mm and 1.5mm pellets. He also eats really tiny brine shrimp. I bought some of the 1mm today. Dnalex, what substrate do you have in the tank with your beautiful ryukin?
  5. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've been feeding the NLS goldfish pellets in the 3mm size. My ranchu and one of my orandas has been "floaty". I got the larger size because I thought the smaller size would just get lost in my gravel. Even at the 3mm size, I thought it was small for my big fish (baseball to softball size fish). I soak the food before feeding it. They also get a varied diet of proteins, algae and peas with the occasional broccoli. Could somebody please explain to me why the smaller size is better, even if being fed to very large fish? I feel like feeding them the 1mm pellets would be like feeding them dust.
  6. After a soak in some clove oil water, followed by some vodka, my big blue boy is no longer suffering. He went peacefully. This is the part where I wish I was like those people who could care less about a goldfish's life. To hurt this bad over losing a fish just doens't seem like something I'm supposed to be feeling. I know my coworkers and even the pharmacist where I bought the clove oil think I've lost my dammed mind doing so much to save "just a fish". I'm going to miss Shane. This fall I'll start searching for another blue or white oranda to fill the tank. It looks so bare without him. Rest in peace, Shane. I want to thank all who helped me in this journey. I appreciate all the comments, support and advice. I'm glad this forum exists.
  7. Update...... Shane is still not swimming. He still just rests on side side on the bottom of the tub. I am still switching him into a clean tub daily. He will eat if I put food directly in front of his face and he sucks it in. He is having normal looking bowel movements. I only have two doses of antibiotics left. I am at a total loss for a cure for his lack of mobility. It may be time to send him to the big pond in the sky. Sigh!
  8. Shane update: I quickly ran into the pet store on my way to work yesterday and bought a package of Maracin. I thought Maracin 2 might be a better choice, but they only had Maracin. I dosed him last night before bed. This morning, he is still on the bottom, on his side. However, he did react to me putting my finger in front of his face. He struggled but swam backwards to get away from me. I tried to pick him up and he put up a small fight but quickly exhausted himself. I tried to give him another pea, but he still won't eat. He had a bowel movement. It was quite thin and long. The Maracin is supposed to be administered once a day for 5 days. I've been putting him into a fresh tub of water every day. Would it dilute the benefits of the meds to do that? I'm trying to determine if I just need to leave him in one tub for 5 days while he's being medicated. If so, I would assume I need a fiter set up. Suggestions? JOY! Before I clcked "Post" on this message, I checked on him again. He ATE 4 pellets of New Life Spectrum food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dropped the pellets one by one into the water and they drifted down by his face and he ate them!!!!! I've never been so happy to see a fish eat!
  9. BTW dnalex, LUUUUUUUV your quote "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis. (Dante Alighieri)"
  10. I'm at work right now. I don't get off until very late. I don't remember Walmart carrying Maracyn (or any other decent fish supplies). Unless it's something they carry, I won't be able to go to the pet store and get meds until before work tomorrow, then actually administer the meds late tomorrow night (midnight) when I get home. There are no pet stores in my town. Just in the town where I work, 30 minutes away. When I left today, he was still pretty much motionless, but he did wriggle a little for me. He is still on his side though. If I saw his eyes darting around or his gills moving rapidly I would have probably euthanized him this morning, but he seems peaceful, almost comatose. He "waves" his pectoral fin around, but that's about it.
  11. Shane update........ He willingly lets me pick him up to put him into the next tub. That tells me how week he is. Normally holding Shane was like holding a bull. He has (had) amazing strength for a little fish. He would not eat the pea I gave him last night. He's still on his side, not moving.
  12. I talked to a man today who recently opened up a business setting up and maintaining salt water aquariums in people's homes and businesses. As soon as I told him where I live, he asked if I had trouble keeping nitrates under control. I told him what I was going through with my tank and Shane. He said he cannot keep nitrates under control in his customer's tanks in my town. Our city water is NASTY. I will not drink it, unfiltered. We came to the conclusion, the problem is starting with the municipal water, plus the challenge of keeping goldie water clean. He was NOT a goldfish lover AT ALL. When I told him what I was doing to try to save Shane, he said "No offense, but I wouldn't go to the bother for just a cheap goldfish". I gently but firmly reminded him that not all goldfish are 28 cent feeder fish, and even if they were, their life was still worth something to me. We agreed to disagree.
  13. I'm heading out the door for the day. I will let him rest in his clean water an check on him tonight. Thanks to all who have offered support and advice. I'm delighted to have knowledgable people who care helping him. I will be in the area of some pet stores today if there is any type of items you think I should pick up that could assist, please post it and I will try to check the messages on my phone. Thank you again!
  14. I checked. His belly is firm but not bloated. His gills are pink. He has not eaten in 3 days. I see no visible signs of distress. Would methyline blue help him breathe? I'm worried about him not eating. I don't want him to starve to death. I put three sinking pellets in the tub in front of his face and he did not react. If he does not eat them soon, I will remove them. I'm wondering if he will react diffently to his favorite... peas.
  15. http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/Orandafish/media/shane_zps95159410.jpg.html http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/Orandafish/media/20130802_112306_zps401d781e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 Shane is in tub one of the two-tub hospital set up. I added a air pump with an air stone to keep his water circulating. He is just resting on his side on the bottom. He is not gasping for breath but he is not trying to move either. He does not swim at all. If this works correctly, there SHOULD be two photos. One of him before he got sick and one of him in his hospital tub.
  16. OK, will get a second tub today. His condition is about the same this morning. The two aged tubs sounds like a great plan. Thanks.
  17. I did an 85% water change tonight. We're down to 10ppm nitrate.. I'm holding off putting him in another tank. I think moving him would be too stressful. Right now he is completely motionless on his side on the bottom of the tank. His good buddy, Solomon (telescope veiltail), keeps going over to him, almost like he's checking on him. Is there anybody on this group that has brought a fish back to health after having it act like this due to the nitrates being so high? I'm \trying to determine what to expect as far as time and behavior of recovery.
  18. Shane is a pretty big boy, even for an oranda. He's about the size of my outstretched hand. Should I put him in my cycled little 10 gallon hospital tank or should I run out and buy a large plastic tote to use as his hospital tank? I've heard of people quarantining fish in these totes but wondered if the plastic would leach chemicals into the water.
  19. After a solid 8 hours of sleep, I got up and changed another 25%, this time using Prime water conditioner. I also rinsed out my marimo balls. Now the Nitrate reading is 40ppm. I guess I must have read the results incorrectly last night. Shane is on his side on the borrom of the tank and is even more listeless. Again, everybody else is fine. Would moving him to a tank with under 20ppm Nitrate be too much of a shock for him? I can only assume it would be the same reaction as a human coming up from a deap sea dive too quickly.
  20. Amonia - 0 Nitrite- 0 Nitrate- currently 10ppm (was about 100 24 hours ago) Nitrite tap- 0 Nitrate tap - nearly 0 ph - 7.6 AVI test kit (crap! forgot to get a water temp, but it's just room temperature, no heater) 125 gallon, set up for about 6 years Magnum 350 canister and Eheim pro series 2078 (takes up over 1/3 of the cabinet space under the tank). In the Eheim I have added Nitrate neutralizing bags 36" bubble wall for added air I was religious about weakly water changes until about a month ago when my job changed. Today is my first day off 12 hour days in several weeks. I normally changed anywhere from 15-25% water during frequent changes, but last night I changed 50% inhabitants: Shane: 8.5 inch blue oranda (the one who is sick) Fluffy 6.5 inch red oranda Nemo: 5 inch red ranchu Solomon: 8.5 inch red/white veiltail telescope Cleo: 5 inch orange fantail Minnie: 3.5 inch orange pearl scale 3 small cory cats Live plants: 4 marimo balls and 1 pathetic sword API water conditioner and aquairum salt (maintenance salt, not medication doseage) Feeding: New Life Spectrum pellets, offset with algae pellets, freeze dried shrimp, steamed broccoli and boiled/shelled peas on occasion No new fish and no medication in the tank Last medication to the tank was well over a year ago for lice. One treatment cleared all. No new infestations. Never had ick, flukes, fin rot, etc. I'm not a huge fan of medications, just clean water (or at least I was) I was religious about weakly water changes until about a month ago when my job changed. Tomorrow is my first day off after working 12 hour days for several weeks. Before this work schedule change, I normally changed anywhere from 15-25% water during weekly changes, but last night I changed 50% I came home from work at midnight last night to find my 3 year old big blue oranda listing lazily to the left. He would rest on the bottom of the tank, then slowly turn almost completely on his side. I found a few red streaks where his tail fins meet his body. No other signs of physical distress. He seemed to want to get up but the task was too daunting for him. He seemed to want to eat but again, did not have the strength. I tested the water to find my nitrate threw the roof, probably about 100 ppm. I did a 50% water change and cleaned the Magnum filter. I did not clean the Eheim filter as I didn't want to "over clean" anything. I did not medicate the water, only replaced the salt I took out during the water change. (about one rounded teaspoon for every 5 gallons). This morning, he was not better. The nitrates were now about 10ppm. Back to work...... At midnight tonight (24 hours later) nitrate is still at about 10ppm. Shane is even more listless than before, but I suppose it could be that it's just late. He is on the bottom of the tank on his side. He is not bent in half and he doesn't seem to be breathing heavily. He is not pineconing. No other fish in the tank seem to be affected in any way. My research is telling me he is suffering from Nitrate poisoning brought on by my own lack of water quality control. Right now I'm looking for suggestions on what to do to help him recover. Do I quarantine him in a hospital tank? I would think moving him would stress him. Do I medicate? If so, do I use medicated food or a water supliment? The only hospital tank I have is a cycled 10 gallon. That might be pretty cramped for a boy his size. Tired does not even begin to describe me. I hope I've typed this with a modicum of sensibilty and a low amount of typos. I'm off to bed and hope to rise in the morning to some good advise from people who care about "just a fish", like i do. I might be able to get a video tomorrow, but not tonight. I feel so badly for Shane. I feel like I failed him. Good night.
  21. Update: The gals are all flourishing in the tank. The most damaged fish, which was a large red female veiltail, was left in her own tank and finally died. Because I had a whole day to watch the tank, I introduced my adult female red veiltail, I had by herself for over a year. I thought either the group would gang up on her or she would kill all these babies. Neither happened. Everybody is getting along great. I'm finding much enjoyment in watching these girls. They greet me any time I walk near the tank, wagging their fins, wanting fed. I'm still amazed how well everything has turned out.
  22. Congratualations on your new chocolate oranda. I love chocolates. I've had 3 in the past 20 years and they kept their color. Nice find. It should be a beauty when it's an adult. Pretty cute now.
  23. I now have a total of 9 plants, three large pieces of stone, a pagoda and a huge castle with lots of hiding holes in it. It that's not enough, there's not much sense of setting one of these up. Any more "stuff" in the tank and there won't be room for the fish. LOL
  • Create New...