Jump to content


Regular Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by austinado16

  1. Thought I'd give another update. All fish are doing just fine and this week I added pink grapefruit to list of foods they'll eat. Almost as funny as watching them eat limes. The big Comet gets herself all flared up when she's eating it, like her whole body is going "BOING." Silly fish. Thanks again to everyone for all the help. It would have been a real drag to loose one and break up the trio...both for them, and for us!
  2. I'm confused about the above instructions. I'm no longer medicating the fish and he's back in the main tank.
  3. i'm a huge fan of the Comets. Love their shape, their speed, and their agility. Cracks me when the this big Common is chasing the big Comet around (they're very bonded), or trying to shove her a certain way at feeding time. She just snaps a U-turn and leaves him behind. If you haven't seen them, I have a few videos of them on youtube under my user name.
  4. Yes, he's a little over 8" long now, maybe almost 9", and pretty tall and thick. The big Comet, which is the fish that started this all, as a 25 cent feeder, something like 10yrs ago, has a 6" body, and another 3-4" of tail trailing behind. I feed them a lot of fruit, or maybe I should say, "Produce." -Persimmon -Lime slices -Lemon slices -Orange slices -Avocado -Garlic -Black Olives -Grape centers -Cucumbers Right now it's Persimmon season, so while I'm standing there eating on (in front of them, of course) I plop a couple spoon fulls into the water and enjoy the antics.
  5. Here are a couple updated photos. He's back in the big tank now.
  6. I think it was maybe 3 days (Friday/Sat./Sun) on the Maracyn 1 before the advice here sent me out after Metromeds. The LFS (not a petboxstore) didn't have any, and that was Monday. They did have "Focus" by Seachem. So I purchased a tube of that and that's what I've been using. The LFS said they'd have more Metromeds by Wed. by in previous experience, they are very unreliable in getting stuff in. So I stuck with the Focus, the 80*F water temps and the 1tsp of Epsom Salts in the 10g tank. The big lug wouldn't eat the focus mixed with avocado, so I decided to just heavily dose the water. I'm doing 80% water changes twice a day, so with each water change, it was a new round of salt, and 3 heaping scoop fulls of Focus, dumped right in front of where he was laying. I figured he'd breathe it in initially in that heavy concentration, and then soak in it the rest of the day. It's been 6 days total, on the Focus, the tube is nearly empty, and as of this afternoon, he's doing even better. His breathing is back to that slow methodical big goldfish breathing (he's about 10 inches), and he's just hovering around in the tank waiting for each time I walk over, and then it's, "FEED ME" eyes as he comes up to the glass. I'll keep treating him until the Focus is gone, which will probably be Monday. I've got the heater off, and he's been in regular 66*F temp water for about 12hrs. I've also stopped salting. Don't know if what I've done is right or good, but I was willing to try anything as opposed to giving up on him.
  7. Still looking good. The rapid breathing has improved to be more normal. All the bloody spots have been absorbed and are gone. The worst one is now just a dark dot in the middle of one scale. So I guess we're getting there, slowly but surely.
  8. He's getting better! Swollen areas were much improved yesterday and fins were unclamped. No freshly bleeding looking areas between the scales and the blood that was showing, was getting dark. By mid-day he was eating from my hand again, and spending less time sitting on the bottom, propped up against he back wall. By late last night, he was swimming around foraging for food and occasionally eating from the slice of lime I'd left for him to find. This morning he's basically back to normal as far as swimming and eating goes. He's got a few more days on the meds, so maybe by Monday he'll be back in the big tank with the girls. Thanks for all the help and support you guys!
  9. I treated them all for flukes, with Prazi, about 18mos ago. Treated them in their big tank. Don't have any metro, but can get it tomorrow. Today makes day 3 on the Marycin.
  10. Helen, thanks so much for the offer to help. If he was otherwise doing great, I might be inclined, but at this point, there's so much other very serious looking "stuff" happening, that IMO, takes precedence, that surgery would just be adding cruelty. The splits and now tiny holes in the tail, have appeared, literally, over night, as did all the bleeding areas. Any idea what the cause is? Just some really bad infection? He's still eating, in fact, just gave him a huge piece of avocado and he inhaled it, as is his usual method. Oh, and he's also been breathing very rapidly for about 2 days. I put him in the hospital tank on Friday.
  11. Thanks for the fast replies! The lump in the mouth is just in from the "lips" so it's easily accessible.....however, it's not an external growth. It's something going on under the tissue. So carving it out would leave a 3/8" diameter raw opening. And that lump is seemingly very secondary to what appears to be a lot of internal bleeding or blood seepage. Stand by for photos. BTW, I know you guys like to know water params, but he's in a 10g hospital tank getting daily changes, so that's about as good is it's gonna get. But I certainly blame myself for his condition, as I've not put any live plants or other fish in with he and his 2 gals in a couple of years. So it's a sealed environment, other than my care.
  12. Hi Gang, Long time since I've posted. Things w/ the fish have been going well, but here I am in the 9-1-1 area for my big Common who I think needs to be euthanized. For a long time now, he's had a lump inside his mouth, on the left side, a the bottom. It was small at first, almost like maybe his mouth just wasn't formed right in that location, but it started growing, and in the last month or so has gotten big. I figured cancer or similar...aka, not much I can do about it. A couple days ago, he started clamping fins, and when I looked at him straight on, I noticed he was starting to bulge out just behind the left gill, and in another location just back from there. I put him in my 10g hospital tank, 1/4tsp of espsom salt, and started him on Marycin 1, with a heater trying to keep the water in the 75-80*F range. No change, of course and today he's much worse. The bulging areas are pine-coned and there's red in the areas around the scales, like internal bleeding. The tail is now getting a couple splits, and there's a red vein in the very middle, just where the tail meets the body. I've been changing the water in the 10g daily, and re-dosing the salt and Marycin, but I think this is the end of the line, and I'm ready to get some clove oil and do the deed. Hate to, but he's been a great fish, and I don't want to see him suffer any longer. Any advice greatly appreciated, even if it's just to say, "Yes, he's not able to be saved."
  13. Super looking Common!! I have his exact twin, now about 2" longer, and maybe a half in or more taller. Daughter named him "Titanic." Definately get another single tail goldfish pal. Don't put in some other kind of fish, or a non-single tail, or a pleco. Just give him another single tail and enjoy. I'd personally go larger than a 40. Single tails are awesome swimmers and they need real estate! If you give them a 55 long, or a 70, etc. you'll really have a show on your hands because they'll be able to really swim and do their thing. Get a big tank, and get a big canister filter like a Fluval 405 or 406 and fill it with ceramic media. Your water will be crystal clear at all times and they'll stay super healthy. As far as adding the fish, I know it's tempting to just go buy another big one (if you can even find one that big) and drop it in, don't. Your fish is ultra healthy, and anything you dump in there won't be, no matter what. You could wind up with a really sick Sultan, maybe even have him die. Either way, you'll dump a ton of money on meds, and be miserable for weeks trying to nurse him back to health. Get your "new" big tank set up, and put Sultan, all his gravel and decor, and water into that tank, along with his current filter. Then get your new big filter going. While that's getting stabilized, leave the 20 running as your new quarantine tank. Put some of the gravel in from the big tank, and the filter from the 20, back on the 20. (Give the new big filter a couple weeks to get going before you take the 20's filter back to the 20). Then put the new fish in the 20, and add Prazi Pro, and do the whole quarantine scenario for a month. Once you have both fish in the big tank. Keep the 20 for a hospital tank and consider running it's filter on the big tank, so that that filter is always seeded and ready to go on the 20 should one of them get sick.
  14. I don't do it as much as I used to, but mine love to go swimming with my hand. They swim back and forth past it, and through it if I make sort of a loose C shape. I give them little rubs as they go past, or a little contact along the belly.....even grab them a little. They come right back for more. They'll eat from my finger too, but I usually don't feed that way.
  15. All good stories! I taught our oldest Comet to come to my hand when I place it on the outside of the glass. She goes back and forth against it, like a cat against your leg. She used to love to play in the outlet blast of the Fluval 405 nozzle. it was like she was running on a treadmill. She'd start at about the middle of the tank and swim headlong into the blast until she made it all the way to the nozzle, then peel off, and start over. Eventually the other 2 started trying it. I had them all out of the tank a couple months ago for some serious cleaning. When I put them back in, they actually had a little reunion and were kissing each other. It was very purposeful, and pretty amazing to watch. The smallest Comet is shy and the other 2 protect her. When I break out the big 35mm camera and come to the glass, she sits in behind them and they go back and forth up front, to keep her hidden. She's also done stuff like parked with her head behind a large leaf, and then scooted over just enough to get one eyeball to look out at me. They're all very animated and it makes for a rewarding relationship!
  16. Definately stop using flash to take photos! Just leave the tank lights on, turn off the room lights, and learn to pan with the camera. Regarding the water spots, I'd use #000 steel wool and windex. Should polish them right off. If the glue won't come off, soak a paper towel with some "Goof Off" which is lighter fluid, and hold that onto the glued areas for a moment in order to let the chemicals soften the glue, and then it should wipe off. If the Goof Off doesn't work, do the same thing using Laquer Thinner.
  17. Ha! It's neat to hear about all the Commons and Comets!! Our oldest is a Comet, probably about 7 now, if not older. She is very adept at hucking water out over the tank rim at me. The big Common does the same. Since they live in the kitchen, next to the sink, come to the side of the tank to find out what I'm doing, and let me know that they're there, and they need to be fed. It's quite purposeful. They get a little wound up in the afternoon too, because they know they can talk me into hanging some citrus, which right now means an entire quarter of an orange off our tree....which they eat flush to the rind in about an hour!
  18. Great info, thanks for taking the time to post it. Now, can you post the list of safe dog foods? I've got a pair of Queensland Heelers (Australian Cattle Dogs) who'd love to know....as would I.
  19. Yep, I guess because they were sitting right on top of each other, and although not perfectly lined up, they were still end-to-end, it was making it easier for all that green gook to pack in, both blocking flow, and making it difficult to rinse out. What can I say, I'm a student of life! Hope that the day I stop learning is the day after I take a dirt nap.
  20. No, never. Just poured tank water over them to rinse off all the loose "stuff." Typically cleaning for the filter is just dumping the water and rinsing the inside of the bucket, and taking the impeller out and cleaning it, the inside of the motor housing, and the underside of the impeller housing cover. I also take the sponge filters out and blast them completely clean with the garden hose spray nozzle. Depending on condition, I'll rod out the inside of the spray bar, and maybe twice a year take the houses out and blast through them with the garden hose and it's spray nozzle.
  21. When I first got my Fluval 405, I simply poured the bio media into the trays. Then, during one filter cleaning, I thought I'd do a test to see if the trays held more media (these are ceramic cylinders with a hole through the center) if it was stacked neatly in rows. Sure enough, I could get quite a bit more in each tray. So I purchased more media, and filled the trays in neatly stacked rows. Well, after 2 years running the filter like this, I was doing a cleaning this past week and noticed that when I poured tank water through the trays I was getting a ton of green debris. So much so, that I held the trays up to look at the bottoms and see if all the grill surface was plugged.......and pretty much, it was! Geez, talk about a restriction to flow! Needless to say, I dumped out all the trays, poured tank water through the media to get all the cylinders free of being clogged with crud, and same with the grill areas. Then I just poured the media back in and left it loose and jumbled. Can't really tell by looking at the spray bar output, but I'm hoping it's flow is improved.
  22. I do. A Tetra Whisper 60, running a 48" bubble wand that's burried under the gravel, against the base of the back wall. Gives nice big random bubbles (rather than fizz) that tumble up the 3D back wall. Of the 3 pumps I tested (Rena 400, Coralife Luft, Tetra Whisper 60) the Tetra was the quietest and moved the most air.
  • Create New...